The Woolly Waste Project has been set up to cater primarily for sheeps wool and to support local sheep farmers and is operated by Val Grainger on behalf of Blackdown Hills Natural Fibres.
Processing wool into felt will enable a better return for lower grade wool, as well as adding value to better quality wool by making it into felt for a variety of uses from hats to bags, from horticultural felt to coffins! Future developments will include locally produced insulation materials.
From Fleece to Felt Woolly Waste will offer the following services:
- Processing and felting for lower grades of Wool / Mohair / Alpaca & Cashmere
- Environmentally Sound Production in an Eco Business unit with original machinery
- Small Volume Processing Opportunity to hire the unit and develop niche market businesses
- Product Development & Marketing Assistance
- Special Rates for BHNFG Members
Woolly Waste is operated on behalf of the BHNFG by Val Grainger's business The Woolly Shepherd and is based within a recycled WW2 airfield building at Dunkeswell in the heart of the Blackdowns. Linked to Combing and Spinning the Hills, Woolly Waste will be turning all the waste fibre from that project into felt too.
Dunkeswell Eco Business Park